Celebrating Turkey and Tampa
Aviagen Turkeys’ reception at the National Turkey Federation Convention once again featured a menu created for us by the hotel chef. Each year, we ask the chef to think of ways to incorporate turkey into appetizers with a local theme. Tampa, known as the Cigar City, inspired some great smoked turkey treats.
- Turkey Tacos featuring smoked turkey thighs seasoned with achiote, a popular Caribbean spice.
- Turkey Cuban Sandwiches with smoked turkey breast, turkey bacon and the traditional La Segunda Cuban bread.
- Turkey Bites with turkey tenders brined in Cigar City Ale, hot smoked, then finished until crispy.
- BBQ Turkey Meatballs with smoked cheddar and green onions.
- Turkey and Waffles with buttermilk marinated turkey tenderloins, malted waffle, and spicy maple syrup.
It was a great evening, gathering with friends, enjoying a toast and turkey with a Tampa twist. It also provided inspiration to prepare turkey in some new and creative ways.